Fly Ash is a byproduct of power generation with coal. Sustainable ash utilization is one of the key concerns at BPSCL. An Ash Management Division has been set up which strives to derive maximum usage from the vast quantities of ash produced at BPSCL. BPSCL is taking the following steps to ensure maximum utilization of Fly Ash.
- A Fly Ash brick manufacturing unit has been procured and commissioned inside the plant premises. It was inaugurated by Hon. CEO/BPSCL Sri K. Harinarayana and Hon. GM I/c (PP) Sri P.K. Sinha on 14.07.2016. The brick manufacturing unit has a capacity of producing 1500 bricks per day. Production has started and the bricks are internally used in construction activities in both BPSCL as well as in its parent organization, Bokaro Steel Plant (SAIL).
- Few abandoned stone quarries have been identified and allotted by BSL for disposal of pond ash from BPSCL Ash Pond. The environmental clearance in this respect has already been granted by state pollution control board.
- BPSCL has signed an MoU for use of pond ash in road construction activities of NH -23 and the job is in progress.
- BPSCL has E-Auctioned 80,000 MT of Fly Ash through M/s MSTC, Kolkata, a Govt. of India agency
BPSCL is committed towards the environment and is proactively seeking effective measures to maintain the environmental balance. Tree saplings have been planted in the Ash Pond to maintain the atmospheric condition and also to give it a greener look. An environment friendly Eco Garden has been developed within BPSCL which has been developed over an ash mound. BPSCL has also conducted Fly Ash Utilization conference twice, once each in Bokaro and Ranchi which was attended by delegates of Power Industries and other stakeholders like the Pollution Control Board, NHAI, government officials, fly ash related vendors etc
- Visit JSPCB site
- MoEF Notifications regarding fly ash